Wednesday, February 11, 2009

She is just SO sweet!

No, I don't mean Puddin' the Yorkie,...although she is sweet...I mean my maid, Thandiswe.

The minibus taxis are on strike today, so the people who depend on them for transportation...virtually every domestic worker in South Africa...are without transport to work. When 8:00 arrived and Thandiswe did not, I assumed she wouldn't be coming in.

So, imagine my surprise when she rocked up at 8:25...half an hour late, but here!

"How did you get here?" I asked her. "The taxis are on strike."

"I walked," she said. Walked? that is a distance of at least 3 miles!

"Oh, dear!" I said, embracing her. "You don't have to do that! If this happens again, just call me, I'll come pick you up."

"No! No!" she exclaimed. "The taxi drivers are very mean today. They might hit your car. I don't want that to happen! Where will I ever find another madam as good as you?"

I didn't know what to say, so I just hugged her. What a sweetheart she is, walking all that distance rather than subject me to possible danger!

She really is a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome! Anonymous comments are enabled as a courtesy for people who are not members of Blogger. They are not enabled to allow people to leave gratuitously rude comments, and such comments will not be published. Disagreement will not sink your comment, but disagreeable disagreement will.