Friday, August 01, 2008

Rainy days and warm, homey smells...

My house smells wonderful! The bread machine has been churning out fragrant loves since this morning and today Thandiswe reminded me that I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies with the chocolate chips I found at the market last week.

Believe it or not, it has been five whole years since I’ve had chocolate chip cookies. It’s one of those odd little things that you don’t notice are missing from the shelves until you get a craving for choccy chip something and discover nobody has a clue what you are talking about!

But last week I saw Chips Ahoy! cookies in the biscuit aisle (cookies are known as biscuits here) and suddenly I was on my way to the baking goods aisle to see if South Africa had discovered chocolate chips yet. YES!

I suppose I shall have to wait a few more years for milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips, but that’s ok…my cookie recipe originated with only dark chocolate chips, so although I’ll be stepping back in time a bit, the cookies will be fabulous.

Thandiswe has never tasted chocolate chip cookies, so I guided her through making them and left her to bake the last two batches. Sixty cookies later, the house smells divine, the cookie jar is full, and Thandiswe is grinning from ear to ear…I gave her a bag of cookies to take home for herself and her kids. She thinks everything I cook is “American food”…except for the curries, of course…and after tasting the cookies, she declared she very much liked American food!

It is raining again, but the wind has died down.

It’s a good day to stay snug inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome! Anonymous comments are enabled as a courtesy for people who are not members of Blogger. They are not enabled to allow people to leave gratuitously rude comments, and such comments will not be published. Disagreement will not sink your comment, but disagreeable disagreement will.